Moroto is one of the prominent and interesting towns in Uganda, and can be located in the Moroto District in the Northern Region of Uganda. It is the site of the district headquarters.
It spans approximately 210 kilometers, by road, northeast of Mbale, the nearest large city.
It covers 420 kilometers, by road, northeast of Kampala, the capital and largest city of Uganda. [2°31’48.0″N, 34°40’12.0″E (Latitude:2.5300; Longitude:34.6700)]
Key points of Interest in Moroto:
- A branch of the National Social Security Fund
- Moroto Regional Referral Hospital, a 200-bed regional referral hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- Moroto–Nakapiripirit Road, passing through the middle of town
- Mountain Moroto, rising to an elevation of 3,083 metres (10,115 ft) about 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) east of town
- Town Council offices can also be seen
- Moroto central market
- Moroto Airport, a public airport located about 8 kilometres west of town
- headquarters of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Moroto